Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Yankee Doodle Dandy...

I've written before about how, when I'm doing something kinda boring like scraping the slushy, melting snow off the road with the tractor, odd things just pop into my head. Sometimes it's songs I hadn't heard for years, like The Shape of Things to Come (2/28/23). Well this time it was I'm A Yankee Doodle Dandy. This song was written by George M. Cohan for a musical at the turn of the last century, but became a big hit in a Jimmy Cagney movie of the same name, back in the early forties. Read about it here...

https://unrememberedhistory.com/tag/james-cagney-yankee-doodle-dandy/

So the other day Jimmy was still singing in my brain when  I was cleaning up the dog yard. I started singing it to Mac, the Mackenzie River Husky pup we got a few years ago. Since Andy calls him Mackie, I changed the words a little bit, so now the song is...


Mackie Doodle Dogo...

He's a Mackie doodle dogo

He's a Mackie do or die

A real live nephew of his uncle Cy

Born on the fourth of July

Mackie doodle came to town

Just to pull a boggan

Mackie's a real good boy

Now sometimes Mac's a good boy, sometimes not so much. He sure doesn't care if I sing, cause mostly his head's buried in my pocket, at least as far in as his big head will fit, searching for a dog biscuit. But goofing with the dogs breaks up the time you're out there shoveling up dog poop, so that's a pretty good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment