Search This Blog

Sunday, May 21, 2023

All Greased Up...

Back in the day when I was still working, I took a one night course on taxes for  small businesses. The main thing I got out of it was that the quickest, easiest, safest way to get a tax deduction was to buy something for the business. This allowed you to deduct all or part of (depreciate) the cost as a tax deduction, as long as it had something to do with your business. So naturally it became an excuse to buy a bunch of attachments for the tractor, my so called business. One of the first purchases was a chipper shredder. Now back then, in the early aughts, I wasn't particularly internet savvy, so went to a local dealer and had him order one. Now the down side of this, besides paying full price, was that the dealer didn't know much about it, so just ordered the base model, when there were several better options available. While it fit the the tractor and worked fine, when it came time to service it, it wasn't very user friendly.

 According to the maintenance chart, you should grease it every 8 hours of use, but then in the written text, the manual says 50 hours. So I guess it's your choice. I know which one I'll choose. Then you have to remove all the black cover panels to grease three of the zerk fittings.
The fourth zerk appeared to be located under the black plastic cover, but after removing it, I could see there was a cutout on the bottom to access the zerk. So now I now where all the zerks are for the annual greasing. There's nothing in the manual to show their location, just a brief note about maintenance at the end. It took several hours of removing various panels, some with difficult to access nuts and bolts, others that didn't need to come off, just to find them all. On the job training at it's finest.

No comments:

Post a Comment