Saturday, August 30, 2014

Back on the dozer...

After several year's hiatus, went back out to Nome Creek to drive the dozer (Dozin' off again 8/9/10).  Rather than dealing with the existing tailing piles, this was an area where contractors had removed tailings for road reconstruction. In doing so, they had excavated below the water level of the creek, so that whenever it flooded, the creek would flow into the area and erode new channels. The problem was how to consolidate all the flow into a single channel without sufficient material to build up the new stream banks. As usual, you have to make a mess to fix a mess. Excavated a new channel and some ponds to create material for the stream banks and then spent a lot of time landscaping the area to make the new banks and floodplain. But in the end, the creek was back into a single channel, hopefully for a good while...or at least until the next big flood.
Looking downstream at the eroded channel:

A view from the cab after realignment:

Monday, August 25, 2014

Floored Again...

When I started the garage addition (In Addition, 9/18/13), I didn't really have any plans, just scribbled some numbers on the back of an envelope to estimate the lumber. As for the floor,  I figured on leaving it gravel. Well that left a lot to be desired, so decided to put in a real floor. My neighbor Butch  mentioned how he had laid all weather plywood on top of gravel in his rental garage, so that seemed like a way to go.
 First had to dig out some of the gravel to lay out the floor joists:
Then backfilled and compacted gravel to the top of the joists:
Finally laid out the plywood and screwed 'em down for life:
Suh-weet!