Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 17, 2021

My Name Is Earl...

Back in the "oughts", there was this TV comedy about a loser petty crook named Earl who tried to turn his life around by doing good deeds. He thought it'd  change his karma. Kind of stupid, I know, but it was funny and we watched the first few seasons before it got too stupid even for us. Well I had an issue that arose after a recent physical. When the prognosis improved, figured it was time for a change in karma. That's when I saw an ad for rehoming some sled dog pups. What's better than giving a dog a new home? So I called and found out that the pups were from a Yukon River village and were brought to town for rehoming. So I went over to the address I was given, but apparently no one was home. After waiting a bit, wandered around looking at the pups. They were all staked out on chains with their own dog houses and seemed pretty friendly. When the woman finally showed up, the first thing she said  was "did you see Earl?" I figured she meant one of the pups, so I said "sure, I've been looking them over," or words to that effect. That's when she pointed and said "no, he's over there." Then I saw someone at the far end of the dog yard, standing behind a dog hauler truck. So we went over to talk to him and I found out his name was Earl. He was the brother of a musher I'd met years ago who used to race the Yukon Quest. As we talked, he pointed out one pup and said he was out of his leader and his nephews lead dog, both proven racers. So these pups were bred from locally world famous sled dogs.

And that's how we wound up with Little Earl. When I told her the story, Andy said we just had to call him that. Now he's adjusting to life in a new dog yard, a long ways from his Yukon River home, but hopefully it'll  improve both our karma.

No comments:

Post a Comment