Search This Blog

Saturday, May 25, 2019

All Gassed Up...

After riding the 850T in between several snow/rain storms, decided to take the 650 (v65sp) out, since it's easier to ride in the mud (Road Rage...10/23/18). I'm too cheap to buy two batteries, so switched it over from the T, put some air in the tires, and rolled it out of the garage to check the oil since that side of the bike was against the wall. When I unscrewed the oil cap, a plume shot out, covering the apron with a gas/oil mix. So put the plug back in, got a pan, and drained a couple more quarts of the pungent liquid. At first I thought I'd forgotten to close the petcocks last fall, but no, they were in the off position. So I guess I need new petcocks and float needles.

The 650 Moto Guzzi in happier times.

Later I talked to my mechanic neighbor and he says he always closes the petcocks on his Harley, even when he stops for just a few minutes. And in the fall he drains the gas from the tank. I always filled it up cause I thought there'd be less problems with fumes and gas degradation over the winter. But isn't that the conundrum of riding old bikes, there's always something new to fix. I'll soon be wrenching on the carburetors and gas tank before riding it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment