Search This Blog

Friday, March 15, 2019

The Ides of March...

Well I've posted about the Ides before (Ides of March 3/15/13), but since nobody but Scott seems to read it, here it is again. The Ides are part of the old Roman calendar that refers to the mid-month. Reflecting the lunar origin of the Roman calendar, the Ides of March would have been the first full moon of the new year. So March 15 on our current calendar corresponded to their new year, which apparently occurred at mid-month? Well I don't know about that, but if you're interested, you can google it up on Wikipedia like I did. What I do know is that mid-March is the best time to run dogs in Alaska. So that's what I've been doing...
Heading up the Iowa Creek trail, the hills north of town are pretty impressive as they rise over a thousand feet above the valley bottom.

Here's a shot a little further on. Back when I ran a ten dog team, we'd head up to the top of the ridge. Now a days, we're not so ambitious!

Jabba, the fearless leader on the left, is slow but steady, while Missy, on the right, can't stand to go slow,  so keeps us moving. Between the two, they make a pretty good pair of leaders.

2 comments:

  1. I don't follow readership numbers on my blog. I'll write it till I decide I've had enough. I enjoy blogs like yours because they're honest and not pushing an agenda. I also have a weird love/hate idea about what it would be like to live in Alaska.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Scott. Alaska's a lot like northern Wisconsin or the UP, but with less people. It'd be a great place for somebody who likes to plow snow!

    ReplyDelete