Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Need to Vent...

Back when I was getting ready to retire, we bought some implements that could be used in the business, Tractor Works, I'd hoped to start after retirement. One of them was the flail mower. Now these mowers are none too common up here, in fact I don't think I'd ever seen one in Fairbanks. But back when I was still in school, one of my summer jobs was cutting grass along the county highways and park strips and we used tractor mounted flail mowers. So I called the local John Deere dealer and as luck would have it, they had one, a rental, in Soldotna. They'd ship it up to Fairbanks and if I wanted it, they'd do any necessary maintenance. When it got here, it was in kind of rough shape, but they said they'd make it right. Since then it's worked great and except for backing it into a tree once, never had any trouble with it (Dandelion Don't Tell No Lies 6/10/22).

So it was a surprise the other day when I checked the gear lube and the fluid came pouring out of the level hole. Since none had been added recently, only a little should have trickled out or maybe none at all. So figured I'd better go to the dealer and talk to a mechanic. He said it could be water in the case or a plugged vent. "What vent?' I told him, "there's no vent." He suggested removing some of the gear lube using a suction tube, since there's no drain, and check for water and look for a plugged vent. 

The arrow points to the unpainted bolt where the vent's supposed to be in the gearcase.

So that's what I did when I got home. Turns out there was no water and of course, no vent either. So it was back to the dealer to order a vent, which they charged me for, even thou I told them it wasn't installed at the time it was purchased. So a week goes by, they call, and I go back to pick it up. As luck would have, the shop manager is standing there, so I tell him my tale of woe and he agrees to a refund. So back home again and in removing the bolt from the appropriate hole in the gear box, it's quickly apparent the vent is the wrong size. So this time I dig around in my John Deere stuff and lo and behold, there's a parts manual for the mower. On the page for the gearcase, there's a vent, but it comes in three parts. They only ordered one. So back to the dealer again to order the rest. This time they remember me and immediately agree to the order being no charge. That's great, but what a pain in the butt. Three trips to the dealer and I still don't have the right parts. But at least by writing this, I feel a little better, cause I needed to vent!

No comments:

Post a Comment