Search This Blog

Friday, August 7, 2020

Guzzied out...

With all the rain we've gotten lately, the summer started warm but has cooled off considerably, figured it was time to get out more with the Guzzi. I've had the 850 for thirty years now and except for the initial work when I first got it, rechroming and repainting the rusty places, rebuilding the front brake and replacing oil seals, the bike has been almost faultless. I've never even had to set the points or tune the carbs, it just keeps running like the Eveready bunny!

The only thing replaced over the winter were the fuel taps. The old ones, likely the originals and 45 years old, were leaking. There was a pair of NOS taps in a box of Guzzi parts that I got with the bike, so it was an easy and cheap fix.


Since I had to remove the valve covers to adjust the valves, figured I'd add a pair of small engine head guards. I've only dropped the bike once, when pushing it into the garage when I first got it. It's a load to move around when you're not riding it, so figured the guards were cheap insurance. A lot of people install larger crash bars, but I figure that's just asking for trouble!
The day after I wrote this, the ignition switch broke, so had to order a new upgrade, the original is no longer available. This requires changing part of the wiring harness. Be careful what you write, sometimes it can come back to bite you!

2 comments:

  1. I like the clean simple look of this bike. The bikes today with all the angles and recessed areas were cool for about the first production year but I'm over them. Nice bike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess growing up in the 50's and 60's, I relate more to bikes that reflect that era. The Guzzi is styled more like the old British bikes than the newer Italian ones. Thanks, Jon

    ReplyDelete