Search This Blog

Sunday, April 15, 2018

Gettin' Wood Enough...

Like most every year,  it's time for collecting some firewood (Haulin' in the Wood...5/1/13). There's usually a few trees that fall on the dog trail that need to be bucked up, then there's the standing dead trees that are leaning and need to go, so there always seems to be plenty to haul back up the hill.
What makes it different this year is that there's still over two feet of snow on the ground, so it's a real challenge to get to some of the dead trees and buck them up. For the first time since I can't remember, I'm cutting wood on snowshoes. While it's awkward at first, the main problem, once you get used to having four foot long webbed feet, is not cutting into the snowshoes, since they always seem to be in the way when you're sawing up the trees. But so far it's gone well and hope to get in a few more loads before the snow's gone, the ski doo breaks down, or my back gives out; it's always a toss up which goes first.
Update:  Went out today to get another load of wood. Unfortunately forgot to check the chainsaw gas and ran out before finishing bucking up the spruce tree. Well I guess it'll still be there tomorrow. the next day. or...

2 comments:

  1. I'm certain if I were wearing snowshoes and operating a chainsaw that at some point I would see the tip of the snowshoe sticking up and instinctively cut it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that can be a problem. Back in the day when I cut a lot more wood, I ruined a pair of snowshoes that way. It's a little easier now, since there's enough of an ice crust that the shoes stay on top of the snow, so at least you can see where they are at all times. Harder to avoid when you can't see them buried in the snow.

    ReplyDelete