Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Logged out...

When we dropped a dead aspen tree last fall (Aspen Errors, Part Duce 10/6/17) one log remained stuck between the double birch tree that had protected the greenhouse. Tried to lever it out with a  pry bar and knock it out with a sledge, but both proved futile. Figured I'd need to cut down at least one of the birch trees, but then got the idea of pulling it loose with a come-along.  I wasn't sure it'd work. but still figured it was worth a try. Hooked the come-along up to another birch about thirty feet away and cranked it tight. At first it didn't budge, so got the maul and gave the log a few whacks. Of course all the snow in the birch trees cascaded down so I looked like the abominable snowman. But the log moved a bit and that gave me hope. So reset the come-along and cranked it tight again. This time the log moved a little more with each whack until it finally popped out of the notch between the trees. I guess it's the little successes that make life interesting.

Once the the tension was tight enough, the log popped out of the notch with a few whacks of the maul. I didn't take a picture at the start cause  I didn't really expect it to work. There's a photo of the log stuck in the notch at Chillin' out...(1/21/18).

No comments:

Post a Comment