Search This Blog

Thursday, July 30, 2026

More Bores...

 Probably boring to non-gear heads, the saga of the chrome bore replacement continues. After dismantling the engine (noted in previous post), cleaning the cylinder head and valves was the next step. I tried using carb cleaner and a brass wire wheel on them, with only modest success, so I called a local machine shop about cleaning the parts and they said $150/hr for hot tanking and bead blasting. So for that much, being of thrifty Bohemian stock, I figured I'd do it myself. Checking ebay, I found a sonic cleaner big enough to fit one head for $120, post paid. So I ordered it and it got here in a week. Sweet. In went the head and valves and after a couple of cleanings, they looked a lot better.

So here it is bubbling away in the sonic cleaner. One head and two valves done in about half an hour. So I decide to do the other side, pull the head and valves, and the cleaner doesn't work. Turn it off and on few times, nothing but the fan running, no bubbles. So I let it sit awhile, then try again, and it works. No idea why, but got the other head and valves cleaned. Had to touch up the area around the exhaust port on both heads with the sand blaster, too much carbon build up for the cleaner, but then they were done. The problem with the sonic cleaner is a conundrum. The manual offers little help, other than a brief note that if it overheats, it automatically shuts itself off. So apparently it went into auto-shut off mode and didn't return to operating status for awhile. Anyway, will be getting ready to put the new cylinders and pistons  on the engine, that'll be fun.

The cleaned head and valves, I should have taken a before photo.


Not a professional quality job, but good enough to keep the old Guzzi going for a few more years.

No comments:

Post a Comment