Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 5, 2019

All Tabled Up...

Been trying to get lots o' projects done, rebuilding an old Triumph, fixing the 4 wheeler and 650 Mogu, while still doing the spring chores like rototilling and mowing. The garage/workshop is full of projects, so all the benches are covered with parts and manuals. So what's the solution? Clean up the mess? No of course not, let's build another shop bench.
Back in the day, don't remember when, we got some foldable steel legs and built a spare table so we could have more folks over, mainly at Christmas. And for some reason we got two pair of the legs. Later on, don't remember that either, I found a piece of a packing crate, about 3x5', that I thought would make a nice work bench. So they sat in the garage loft for maybe twenty years, until I figured it was time to do something with it.
Now the top was kind of rough, had lot's of holes where I pulled out the nails that held the crate together. So asked Andy to pick up a small can of wood putty to fill the holes before I put on a coat of varnish to seal the grain. So she brings home a can of this stuff that looked like wood putty, but is really some kind of after the fact filler that can't be sanded or stained. OK, so whatever, I fill all holes, let it sit overnight,  then sand the filled holes. It works, sort of, but it obviously didn't harden. So I went ahead and varnished it. That didn't work out so well, as the filler shed varnish like a duck's back. But then I applied some stain after the varnish dried, so it's not looking too bad. Now I know, it shouldn't matter too much what a workshop table looks like, but still, why would you make a wood putty that doesn't harden or can't be stained or varnished?

No comments:

Post a Comment